2/9/11

水煮鱼 shuǐzhǔyú boiled fish

Shuizhuyu is a huge bowl of pieces of fish sitting in boiling oil and dried chilies. It sounds gross, but it's actually really good. It makes me think that consuming oily things doesn't lead directly to getting fat, as Chinese people are some of the skinniest in the world. The fish will typically have bones in it unless you ask for a very un-bony fish. Chinese people have no problem eating around bones in fish or whatever meat. I've come to like meat with bones in it much more since I've been in China. I can no longer see what is appealing about a boneless, skinless chicken breast. Blech. Anyway, I'm not sure whether this dish is from Hunan or Sichuan. I've had it from both types of restaurants. The waiter will give you a slotted spoon so you can just eat the fish and not the oil.



No comments:

Post a Comment